Looking for new ways to press your luck now that March Madness is over? Look no further! Due to the great response from our previous two “1 of 4 a Cause” test pressing auctions, we wanted to give you another chance to own a piece of music history! Starting today, you’ll be able to bid on five test pressings where all the proceeds will be going to four nonprofits. Test pressings are extremely rare first pressings of a vinyl record that are used to approve the vinyl pressing before the LP is mass-produced. Generally, only four copies are made– one for the artist, one for the producer, one for the label, and one extra (sometimes a few extra are made, but overall the quantity is always very small). Simply put, these are collector’s items, and anyone in ownership of one is part of a very small and exclusive group.
Five test pressings will be listed on eBay and available to bid on for a week starting April 4th. They are…
- Chuck Prophet – Night Surfer 7” Box Set: You’ll get all seven 7” in test pressing form PLUS a copy of the limited edition Night Surfer 7” box set. Not to mention it’s signed by Chuck himself!
- John Doe – Keeper: 2011 release from the X frontman and singer-songwriter, the test pressing comes on stunning red vinyl. Only 20 copies of Keeper on red vinyl in existence!
- Los Straitjackets – What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Los Straitjackets: This album won’t be out for another month, now’s your chance to own it before street date! Hear Los Straitjackets covering Nick Lowe in all their surf rock glory!
- Sloan – Alternates 12” RSD 2015: Out of print Record Store Day 2015 exclusive! Contains alternate versions of four songs from their critically-acclaimed album ‘Commonwealth.’ The bed tracks of these new versions were recorded live off the floor and reflect how the arrangements might have been different with a more collaborative band approach.
- The Fleshtones – The Band Drinks for Free: The newest album from the punk rock legends to commemorate their 40th anniversary.
Here’s some info on the non-profits the proceeds will be going to:
- Girls Rock NC – In thirteen years of programming, Girls Rock NC has held nearly 100 music programs for girls in Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh. Campers have gone on to perform in successful bands and have even take on leadership roles at camp.
- Activate Good – With a goal that all good causes in the Triangle will get the help they need, Activate Good continues to influence the community and work with volunteers who realize and exercise their potential to make a change, facilitating over 360 local causes in 2016 alone.
- WHUP – Broadcasting from Hillsborough, WHUP’s vision is consistent with that of excellent community stations around the country – present a high-quality, eclectic, host-driven mix of music and conversation that collectively reflects the community we serve, with an emphasis on local and regional talent.
- Be Loud! Sophie Foundation – The Be Loud! Sophie Foundation supports adolescent and young adult cancer patients and their families at UNC Hospitals. The foundation funds the only adolescent and young adult program director at a cancer hospital in the United States in honor of Sophie Steiner, a Chapel Hill teenager who died of cancer in 2013.
Visit our eBay store here to check out the auctions! Happy bidding!
Still confused on what a test pressing is? Watch below!