We’re doing it again! Due to the great response from our inaugural “1 of 4 a Cause” test pressing auction last month, we wanted to give you another chance to own a piece of music history! Starting today, you’ll be able to bid on five test pressings where all the proceeds will be going to four nonprofits. Test pressings are extremely rare first pressings of a vinyl record that are used to approve the vinyl pressing before the LP is mass-produced. Generally, only four copies are made– one for the artist, one for the producer, one for the label, and one extra (sometimes a few extra are made, but overall the quantity is always very small). Simply put, these are collector’s items, and anyone in ownership of one is part of a very small and exclusive group.
Five test pressings will be listed on eBay and available to bid on for a week starting 3/14. They are…
- The Autumn Defense – Fifth: Critically acclaimed album from Wilco’s John Stirratt and Pat Sansone.
- Dave Alvin & Phil Alvin – Hard Travelin’ EP (RSD 2017): Currently unreleased Record Store Day 2017 exclusive, one of a kind since the A-side is printed on the B-side and vice-versa.
- The Minus 5 – Scott the Hoople in the Dungeon of Horror: Out-of-print 2014 Record Store Day exclusive. 5xLPs of Minus 5 material in test pressing form PLUS the actual Box Set. The test pressing is signed by Scott McCaughey and Peter Buck.
- Mandolin Orange – Such Jubilee: 2015 album from North Carolina’s folk duo, featured on Rolling Stone’s 30 Great Country Albums of 2015.
- Josh Rouse – The Happiness Waltz: 2013 album by the singer-songwriter.
Here’s some info on the non-profits the proceeds will be going to:
- Girls Rock NC – In thirteen years of programming, Girls Rock NC has held nearly 100 music programs for girls in Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh. Campers have gone on to perform in successful bands and have even take on leadership roles at camp.
- Activate Good – With a goal that all good causes in the Triangle will get the help they need, Activate Good continues to influence the community and work with volunteers who realize and exercise their potential to make a change, facilitating over 360 local causes in 2016 alone.
- WHUP – Broadcasting from Hillsborough, WHUP’s vision is consistent with that of excellent community stations around the country – present a high-quality, eclectic, host-driven mix of music and conversation that collectively reflects the community we serve, with an emphasis on local and regional talent.
- Be Loud! Sophie Foundation – The Be Loud! Sophie Foundation supports adolescent and young adult cancer patients and their families at UNC Hospitals. The foundation funds the only adolescent and young adult program director at a cancer hospital in the United States in honor of Sophie Steiner, a Chapel Hill teenager who died of cancer in 2013.
Visit our eBay store here to check out the auctions! Happy bidding!
Still confused on what a test pressing is? Watch below!